Sunday, March 18, 2007

Providers - Clinical and Financial Reporting

I have been attending HIMSS since the past few years and I am thrilled to see the level of participation by vendors and customers, it just seems to b increasing. This year the weather not being too kind - lots of people got stranded and did not make it. I was one of the lucky few that did make it.

I have seen a unique trend catch up since the past few year, earlier it was all about how we can help capture data for you. Voice to text, EMRs, EHRs, PHRs etc.. that trends still continues but with a twist. I have seen more compaines come out with business intelligence and analytics solution now than before.

I got a chance to talk to few leaders in the provider space. One of the C-Level guys told me this "We are sitting on a pile of data now, we have the systems that capture them in place. Its all about how we can mine the data, build intelligence and make financial sense out of it". I think he was bang on. I see traditional BI vendors like Busienss Objects, Informatica starting to get really active in the Healthcare market.

Microsoft seems to be all guns on the BI market as well. Here are a few areas that I figured are ripe for reporting solutions..

1. Financial reporting off MEDTECH
2. Clinical reporting off all the HIS systems

Unfortunately there are very few niche players in this market that do not have the teeth to cut the market. If there is a package that can sit on top of HIS systems and just enable reporting - that is going to be a kill. I am aware that is want MS wants to do with its new acquisition - Azyxxi.

Payers have been grapelling with the BI issues for sometime now, they have relied on inhouse build algorithms to manage the predictive modelling etc. I feel this area is out to explode in the next few years with more investments in analytics being the trend across Provider and Payers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home